Sunday, March 4, 2012

Health Value Of Pets

That's me on the right with my sister, Pepper. Who could resist us?
Sage Canine Advice, by Sage Riverdog – March 4, 2012
I asked my owner to do some research for me for this blog. specifically I wanted to share with you insights I know to be true. Owning pets, especially dogs, has tremendous health benefits. Here is what my owner found out. Pets can:

  • Improve your mood. We make you laugh. How could you not at least smile looking at a photo of me and my sister as puppies, knowing what mischief we got into growing up?
  • Reduce your stress. It’s a proven fact we reduce blood pressure better than drugs.
  • Encourage you to exercise. It usually just takes one pleading look or one paw on a knee to let my owner know I need a walk. That’s great for me and good for her as well. This also reduces stress.
  • Help you meet people. I always want to say hello to everyone I meet on a walk, whether we’re on an urban sidewalk or country pathway. I know I help my owner meet new friends. I really don’t know why people aren’t more like dogs in this way.
  • Provide unconditional love. It doesn’t matter your age, sex, race, religion, size or station in life, I’m going to like you when I first meet you and I will never judge you. That’s another attribute people could learn from.
  • Give you good company when you feel lonely. We visit nursing homes fairly regularly. My wheelchair-bound 92-year-old human “Grandmother” lives in one. I enjoy all the attention I receive when visiting. I can walk down the hall to my grandmother’s room and by the time I’m ready to walk back, 10 wheelchairs have lined up to pet me. That sure does make me feel special and bring smiles to my wheelchair-bound seniors’ faces, as well.
  • Reduce your risk of developing asthma and some allergies. My human “aunt” teaches nursing in Washington State, and she tells me families with pets also see a reduction in allergies. Children who grow up with pets can develop immunities that help with this later in life.

Now that you are encouraged to go get a pet, please make sure you do your homework and make a strong commitment to the responsibilities of pet ownership.


About Sage – Sage is an 8-year-old black Labrador retriever who lives with River District Executive Director Edna Chirico and Edna’s husband, John Huber. Sage earned a Canine Good Citizen award, which allows her to visit nursing homes, hospitals and schools. Sage loves to run, fetch, swim, ride in boats, travel in the car and play with just about anyone, especially children.

No comments: