Sunday, April 22, 2012

Grooming



Sage Canine Advice, by Sage Riverdog – April 22, 2012
It's spring, and we all want to look our best. I thought you might like some tips on my grooming regimen. Aside from regularly rolling in the grass and swimming while out on hikes, I do have a regular grooming schedule.
Brushing is one of my favorite things – can you tell? It feels so good, removes loose hair and invigorates my scalp, which helps keep my coat shiny. While I take medicine to keep ticks and fleas off me, brushing is a good double-check.
Since I am a lab and I love water, I need to have my ears cleaned regularly to prevent ear infections. While I’m not particularly happy with the ear cleaning, the treat afterward helps.

Dogs can have bad breath. Can you believe it? We can also get tartar build-up on our teeth, especially as we get older. My vet said you can easily rub on dogs' teeth with a damp washcloth. I prefer the toothbrush and the beef-flavored toothpaste that comes with it – hum.
Most dogs also need their nails clipped and some need to have their coats trimmed, especially in the summer. I’m fortunate that I run enough to keep my own nails short and my short hair doesn’t need to be trimmed.
Good grooming keeps me looking my best and feeling good too. I hope it shows.

About Sage – Sage is an 8-year-old black Labrador retriever who lives with River District Executive Director Edna Chirico and Edna’s husband, John Huber. Sage earned a Canine Good Citizen award, which allows her to visit nursing homes, hospitals and schools. Sage loves to run, fetch, swim, ride in boats, travel in the car and play with just about anyone, especially children. 

No comments: