Sunday, June 24, 2012

Sage and the Seniors

One of the privileges of being an AKC registered Canine Good Citizen Dog is that you are allowed in a lot of different venues from schools to churches to nursing homes.

Sage being welcomed by Mary Ellen

I make a weekly visit to the Stanley Total Living Center in Stanley North Carolina.  My 92 year old “grandmother” Ms Mary Ellen lives there.  We pick her up and bring her home on Sundays.
I got used to wheelchairs as a puppy and learned a command called “go say hi”, where I am supposed to gently go up to a wheelchair or person and put my head on their lap or sit beside them and wait for them to pet me and if I’m lucky they will give me a treat.


Sage "saying hi"

It’s a great way to make new friends and have a positive impact on Ms. Mary Ellen’s neighbors.  If you haven’t been hearing it on the news, dogs are an incredible benefit to your health.  Dog and cat owners have a significantly lower risk of heart attacks than non pet owners.
Give that pet of yours or your neighbors an extra treat today for their added value to your life.


Sage in the middle of conversation


No comments: