Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Sage Advice For Going Back To School

Me wearing my Canine Good Citizen backpack

Sage Canine Advice, by Sage Riverdog – Sept. 11, 2012

There are a lot of parallels between the needs of our students starting school this fall and the needs of dogs. I went to formal schooling at PetSmart and graduated with a Canine Good Citizen degree from the AKC (American Kennel Club). I am now allowed to teach, which I do part time.
There are three areas that need all of our attention pertaining to human and canine academic achievement:

  1. We all need good nutrition.
  2. We all need regular exercise.
  3. We all need discipline to adhere to a schedule that allows for time to complete homework or, in my case, to regularly practice what I have learned and to continue learning.
Twice a day I eat a balanced, pre-measured mixture of wet and dry food. I get brushed regularly, my teeth cleaned, my ears cleaned, regular check-ups. I do get some great treats as well. Since Pepper and I have a glutten allergy, we eat wheat-free food and treats. I don’t get any junk food (I would sure eat it if it was offered). I do get a piece of cheese every night before I go to bed – my nighttime ritual.
I get long walks at least 4 times a week, and I love chasing after my ball daily. This is a balance of cardio, strength building and endurance exercises. If I go a few days without my exercise due to rain or traveling, I become more anxious and less able to focus on what I’m asked to do.
Dogs have an internal instinct that helps us set a schedule. I wake up every morning at 6 a.m. and, if my owners aren’t yet up, I fix that and get them to let me out and make my breakfast. I tell them when it’s 6 p.m., as well, to get fed again. 

I get rewards when we practice my series of commands (sit, stay, down, heel, leave it, etc.). The small pieces of treats, petting and verbal praise are all appreciated. As long as we regularly practice, I stay fresh and pass all my tests.
I hope some of my lessons help students starting their 2012-2013 school year. I look forward to seeing many students in the Catawba River District Farm to School program this year.


About Sage – Sage is an 8-year-old black Labrador retriever who lives with River District Executive Director Edna Chirico and Edna’s husband, John Huber. Sage earned a Canine Good Citizen award, which allows her to visit nursing homes, hospitals and schools. Sage loves to run, fetch, swim, ride in boats, travel in the car and play with just about anyone, especially children. 

No comments: