Saturday, February 4, 2012

Whispers Too Loud to Ignore



A Soweto slum in 2009 during my visit
Sustainable Healthy Living, by Sheila Mullen – Feb. 4, 2012
Outwardly, I was a hard charging, always in a hurry, seemingly happy corporate executive. I was successful.  Daily nourishment consisted of several Diet Cokes and grabbing food on the run, if I remembered. Dining from the vending machine was a delicacy. I often finished my day with dinner and drinks with clients. As long as they were happy, it really didn’t matter what I ate.  I was healthy, right?  I hit all the standard American diet food groups: sugar, fat, salt, caffeine and wine.

Disconnect
Contrast that to my lifelong love affair of the intersection point between traditional medicine and alternative healing practices.  I read everything I could get my hands on from the likes of Dr. Bernie Siegle, Dr. Andrew Weil, Eckhard Tolle and Marianne Williams. Their messages reverberated through me. They wrote about finding balance; eating local, whole and living foods; being present; and how communities together can bring about real sustainable healthy change.
 “Someday…” was always my answer to this whisper. This was the part of me that I kept secret. It didn’t fit with my never-say-die corporate lifestyle. Fortunately for me, the whisper was relentless.

The street vendor's message
It was a chance conversation with a street vendor in Soweto, South Africa, where the whispers became as loud as sirens, my body molecules rearranged and my life changed forever.
In 1976, Soweto’s black high-school students protested against their country’s discriminatory apartheid practices and laws of repression. Images of the riots spread all over the world, shocking millions. This black man had experienced the discrimination, riots and brutal hostility, but he was also part of the healing and reconciliation efforts to dismantle apartheid and reunite a sorely torn country.
My one simple question, as we stood in the middle of slums as far as the eye can see, was, “So you have had democracy for 15 years; how’s it working out for you?”

Two miracle transformations
My smug and arrogant question was met with the most brilliant smile. He went on to share with me about the miracle transformation of his country and its leaders. This man had pride I have never known.  In that moment the long awaited whisper gently took my hand and walked me through my own transformation.
Today, I am the president and founder of Continuous Motion Consulting and a practicing holistic-health coach and community-change agent.  My mission is to revolutionize health and wellbeing through powerful conversations and community. 
The focus of this blog is to share with you how together we can find the balance to lead sustainable healthy lives, transform the health-care crisis locally and make good whole food accessible. 
  • Next week: How food changes everything. 

About Sheila Mullen - The founder of Continuous Motion Consulting, Sheila is passionate about engaging friends, family and community in improving their lives and the lives of those around them. Sheila spent more than 20 years in technology sales, marketing and development. She also has a background in organizational development, innovation and executive wellness coaching.

1 comment:

shannon said...

Enjoyed your post! You are doing a great job and inspiring!