Sunday, June 10, 2012

Digging in the Garden

Sage Canine Advice, by Sage Riverdog – June 10, 2012
Dogs and Gardens don’t always go together.  I love to be outside helping in the garden.  When I was younger I used to get in a lot of trouble digging up flowers right after they were planted.  I certainly thought I was helping.
To dig or not to dig
Digging is something dogs do by instinct.  Some more than others.  Terriers and Dachshunds were bred specifically for the ability to dig out game like foxes and badgers.
Dogs dig for a number of reasons.  Sometimes they dig because they are bored, especially if left alone in the yard for a long time.  That’s why it’s important to have chew bones or chew toys to play with.
I’m pretty happy in my yard, but some dogs will dig to escape a fenced yard.  They think there is always something more interesting on the other side of the fence. 
Sage digging for cool ground
I dig sometimes to get to cooler ground when it’s hot.  I have a lot of shade and water, but the little extra coolness is nice.
Some dogs are great savers and dig to bury bones or treats for a later day – I just gather those things up and put them in a corner in my yard.
Some female dogs dig to excavate a den in preparation for puppies, whether they are pregnant or not.  I’ve never had the urge to do that.
The best way to make sure I don’t get the urge to dig is to make sure I get lots of exercise and have chew bones for when I get bored.
By the way, I learned to stop pulling out the newly dug plants – I got scolded enough times I figured it out. 



About Sage – Sage is an 8-year-old black Labrador retriever who lives with River District Executive Director Edna Chirico and Edna’s husband, John Huber. Sage earned a Canine Good Citizen award, which allows her to visit nursing homes, hospitals and schools. Sage loves to run, fetch, swim, ride in boats, travel in the car and play with just about anyone, especially children.

No comments: